The Sand-Covered Church / Den Tilsandede Kirke

The Sand-Covered Church / Den Tilsandede Kirke

The Sand-Covered Church / Den Tilsandede Kirke. Near Skagen, Denmark.


The church was buildt in the 14th century. During the last half of the 18th century the church was partially buried by sand from nearby sand dunes; the congregation had to dig out the entrance each time a service was to be held. The struggle to keep the church free of sand lasted until 1795, when it was abandoned. The tower is the only part of the original structure still standing.